activate universal access mode
Essential works - Sutton branch 27 June

At this difficult time we realise that you will have a lot to think about. That’s why we want to make it as easy as possible to deal with us and provide you with all the information you may need. Remember we are always here to help.

Please do reach out to us, you can contact us in several different ways:

  • For mortgages, call our Mortgage Customer Service team on 01623 676340 or email
  • For savings, call our branch colleagues on 01623 676350 or email our branch colleagues
  • Alternatively, simply head to our contact page and complete an enquiry form for the department that you need.

Please find details below of some things to bear in mind to help you navigate deal with the deceased’s finances during this difficult time.


Show FAQ - Do I need to notify you officially?

To notify the society of the death of an investor or mortgage borrower you will need to provide:

  • Original Death Certificate or
  • Certified Copy of the Death Certificate from a Solicitor

When the deceased is a mortgage borrower, we will also require a certified copy of the Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration, along with ID (such as a driving licence or passport) for the executors, once these are available. The mortgage account will then be updated further and at this stage we will discuss your intentions for the property. Please note that the property should continue to be insured at all times.

When the deceased is a savings investor, we may require Grant of Probate or Letters of Administration depending on the overall account balance, as well as proof of ID. You can download our Guidance Following Bereavement of a Savings Account Holder that explains the options available and identifies the documentation that you will need to present.

Show FAQ - Can I make withdrawals and deposits on a savings account?


After notifying us, certain withdrawals can be made from the account for the following:

  • Funeral Expenses
  • Inheritance Tax
  • Probate Court Fees

In all cases the original invoice must be produced, and the cheque will be issued made payable to the relevant institution.


We can accept cheque payments into the account after notification providing they are made payable to the account holder from third parties and that the account is in their sole name.

Tax Free Savings

In order to comply with HM Revenue & Customs regulations, the investor’s entitlement to receive interest with no tax deducted will cease as from the date of death.

Show FAQ - What happens to the mortgage payments?

If the mortgage is in joint names

The mortgage will transfer to the survivor and payments will continue to be due. If you feel that you will be unable to make the payments, please contact us on 01623 676340 or at

If the mortgage is in a sole name

Interest will not be charged on the mortgage balance for a period of 6 months to allow for probate to be obtained and monthly payments will not be expected during this time.

Show FAQ - Where can I find further independent help?

There is also further information on what to do when someone dies available at

When you’re ready, give our Mortgage Customer Services team a call 01623 676340, call our branch colleagues on 01623 676350 or visit your local branch and we can help you through any necessary arrangements.

Our intermediaries website is for use by authorised intermediaries only.

Please click on the link below to proceed

Continue to intermediaries site